Monday 17 October 2011

Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes by Sue Watson

I remember the first time I see the cover to Fat Girls and Fairy Cakes it was months ago when I came across Sue Watsons blog. I have pestered her ever since awaiting for the release date! I am sure everyone will agree the title of this book and the design is one that would wickedly tempt you from the shelf. I was just wondering if the storyline was going to be as tempting as the cover!

Plot
Can you really make a living from indulging in your dreams? TV Producer Stella Weston is over worked, over weight and under fire. Having battled uphill for years to balance her career with her family life, she is repaid by being put out to pasture on a religious gardening programme complete with a nervous vicar, his nymphomaniac wife, and 22 stone Britney wannabe gardener, Gerald. In the past, comfort has always been found at the bottom of her mixing bowl but when even the most delicious lemon sponge with zesty frosting cannot save the day, Stella decides enough is enough. However, finding the courage to quit is sometimes the easy part. Can you really turn a passion into a profession? Does more time at home actually give you a happier family life? Are men truly from Mars or another universe altogether? Stella has to roll up her sleeves and find out - when the going gets tough, the tough get baking....

My Opinion
OOooo I love Cake!!!
This book has three ingredients that make a perfect read ,cakes,humour and a loveable main character.

The book started off completely unexpectedly not with Stella and her cupcakes but with Stella working in television. The first part of the book is when we really get to know Stella and find out that she is a loveable hard working character with a huge heart. We can feel how Stella is torn between wanting to be there for her family but also having to commit wholeheartedly to her job. It is quite a way through the book that the whole cake topic starts and that was when my mouth started watering and my stomach rumbling reading about all of these delicious cakes.

I found the first half of the book was full of humorous parts and I did find myself chuckling away especially the part involving Stella and a vicar let’s say “stuck in the mud!” The second half of the book is more emotional in many different ways. There really is something for everyone in this beautifully written page turner.
There are also a real mix of characters in this book some who you will fall in love with and cannot wait to appear again, like the flamboyant Al who I would love to have as my best friend! There are also characters who you will loath such as MJ.




1 comment:

  1. Ok, you had me at cake. The book sounds funny and warm, so congrats on the review! Seriously, though, cake. Hmmm. And tv. Cake and tv. Yep, sounds like a book on the must-read pile!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS