Wednesday 27 June 2012

Revelry by Lucy Lord


Revelry seems to be the most anticipated book by a debut author this summer. The cover of this book reminds me of my old school days when I was buying Club Ibiza and Hedkandi albums as the cover looks similar to their covers with the bold bright letters set on a dark back ground, in my opinion it is an appealing cover and very fitting for the storyline.

One summer can change everything… What happens when a friend breaks the one rule that should never be broken? Best friends Bella and Poppy are living the dream – Notting Hill glamour, Shoreditch lofts, exclusive parties and drop-dead gorgeous men. But sometimes living life to the max catches up with you, and even the strongest friendships can be pushed to the limit. Poppy, Bella and their friends spend the summer having as much fun as they possibly can – from the hedonistic escapades of Ibiza to doing Glastonbury in style. But amongst the laughter come tears, betrayal and backstabbing and one devastating decision threatens to bring it all crashing down. And, once the sunglasses have come off, Bella is forced to question if her lifelong friendship has been broken beyond repair.

The book gets off to a quick start introducing us to all of the main characters of this book who are holidaying in Ibiza, all of them seem to be at that point in their lives where they are care free and enjoying their lives to the max. Although we see a lot of each character the main story revolves around friends Bella and Poppy. I wouldn’t say I warmed to either of their characters which I think is because I have nothing in common with either of them and yet I still found them great characters to read.

The group of friends hang out at various locations including Glastonbury and when the characters are at these places the descriptive writing is great you really feel as though you are there with the characters it is quite clear that the author must have had some personal experiences in these places. Relationships are put to the test in this book and the author creates a shocking storyline which was unpredictable and it was this that kept me turning the pages.

This book really isn’t one for the faint hearted! The book contains a lot of swearing ( especially the C word) which I have to say although I swear like a trooper at times I was still shocked each time it came up and my partner wondered what I was reading when he looked over a couple of times and see the same word over again! There is also a constant use of recreational drugs which is probably my grudge with the book I have read many books where some of the characters take drugs but it seems to play a big part in this book. There are also many crude sex scenes so this really is a book like marmite, you will either love it or hate it!

Revelry is the first book in a Trilogy and I will pick the next book up as I think Revelry has created a good foundation for a follow on I am just  hoping that the characters will develop more in the next book and that the use of continual drugs starts to fade.

Looking for a book full of Glitz and Glamour, Sex and drugs then this is the one for you!


Kindle                       Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS