Sunday 13 January 2013

Three Little Words by Jessica Thompson


I loved Jessica Thompson’s début book last year and have eagerly been awaiting her next release. The synopsis of Three Little Words had me intrigued. I had a feeling this book was going to  be completely different from her first book.

Plot

They are just words but they mean so much. As a dark evening draws in, the lives of three women are changed forever. The worlds they have been living in, the people they thought they knew - in an instant it all changes. But when everything seems to shatter around them, could three little words be enough to help put the pieces back together again?

I had high expectations for this book as the authors first book won me over and has been a book I have been recommending throughout the year. The book gets off to a gripping start, I was in shock and emotional already just from these first chapters!

The book then did take a little nose dive for a few chapters, it felt very slow and my interest in the characters and their stories began to waver a little but I think this could be because the start of the book was so intense that it over shadowed the next part of the book. Luckily the book does pick up again after a few chapters and this is when we begin a rollercoaster of emotions!

Sara and Toms story did take a little back seat for me and I think their story will probably be forgotten and I did wonder for most of the book what these characters had to do with the bigger picture but all does become clear further into the story.

Rachel was a character who I constantly changed my opinion on throughout the book and still at the end I am unsure if I love her or hate her!

Then we get to my favourite characters first we have Keon who is only a teenager but after a stupid reckless mistake he finds himself behind bars. He cannot forgive himself for what he has done and to the hurt he has caused others, he needs forgiveness from one person in particular before he can begin to forgive himself. This character I felt like I should hate for what he done but the way the author writes his character you couldn’t help but feel sorry for him.

The last and the main character is Bryony. I loved Bryony. Her emotions flowed through this book in different ways. She is heartbroken and there were times through this book where reading her story brought a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes especially around page 413.

The structure of the book is very much like a jigsaw there are four main characters all who have their own little story to tell and the book alternates between each of the characters until gradually all of the pieces fit together to make the bigger picture.

Although the book had that one little low point the emotions and the difficult scenarios that this author tackles in this book more than makes up for it. A very moving story about love, loss and heartache.


Kindle                       Paperback

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean by some books taking a nose dive for a few chapters,but at least it came good at the end. I do fancy reading this.

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS