Thursday 14 February 2013

The Mummyfesto by Linda Green


I was looking forward to meeting the characters In this book again. I downloaded the short e-book The Resolution and when I read that I really warmed to the characters.
I got a lot more from this book than I was expecting. The storyline follows three friends all of who are facing challenging day to day lives. The author has carefully picked family problems that are very tough to deal with but these are problems many families have to cope with in day to day life so this book really was one that opened your eyes into the challenging lives some families lead.

I loved all of our three main characters, they all seemed like normal down to earth mums you may come across in your local school playground. Sam is the character who I warmed to most. Sam has two wonderful sons Zach and Oscar who has an incurable disease. We are opened to her world of looing after Oscar who is a little delight it is hard to remember he is a fictional character in this book. We also have Jackie who is desperate for another baby but after trying for so long her hope is dwindling away. She also has a mother with Alzheimer’s to try to look after. Lastly we have Anna who has three children one of who has her own battle at school. Anna is trying to look after her childrens situation which seems to mean she is missing something else that is crumbling away.

When all the ladies get together and decide that something needs to be done to help all of these families who are facing day to day struggles they do no more that form a political party to put the world to rights.
I am first to hold my hands up and say I am not into politics but if there was a party that represented what these ladies do then my interest would spark and they would have my vote! The storyline really gets you thinking. I was gripped from the first page right the way through this book there were no low points and the book didn’t feel rushed or that it was being drawn out it was a perfect read but definitely not a light hearted pure escapism!

I have read many touching reads and a few that have given me a lump in my throat or even a tear in my eye. But this book is something completely different I was sobbing. There is a chapter later on in the book that is written so delicately and it was heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time the floodgates opened!
This will be one of those books that will stay in my mind for a long time yet. I highly recommend this one.


Paperback               Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS