Sunday 25 May 2014

The Summer Without You by Karen Swan

Rowena Tipton isn’t looking for a new life, just a new adventure, something to while away the months as her long-term boyfriend presses pause on their relationship before they become engaged. But when a chance encounter at a New York wedding leads to an audition for a coveted houseshare in The Hamptons – Manhattan’s elite beach scene – suddenly a new life is exactly what she’s got. 

Stretching before her is a summer with three eclectic housemates, long days on white sand ocean beaches and parties on gilded tennis courts. But high rewards bring high stakes and Rowena soon finds herself caught in the crossfire of a vicious intimidation campaign. 

Alone for the first time in her adult life, she has no-one to turn to but a stranger who is everything she doesn’t want - but possibly everything she needs.


I read my first Karen Swan book at Christmas and I loved it so I couldn’t wait for her new release The Summer Without You, what I didn’t expect was the hefty size! This book would be hazardous if you was to fall asleep reading it but luckily enough the storyline is so compelling there is no chance of drifting off!

Rowena or Ro as we come to know her has just bagged herself a Summer in the Hamptons after her partner decides he is having a pause in their relationship to go trekking! Ro is in for an adventure herself, she finds three fun and lively friends in her new housemates who show her a life far from her what she is used to. As she begins to make friends and work comes rolling in will Ro be able to go back to her old life and still have the same feelings for Matt?

I adored this book! I was put off by the size of the book as I usually find with larger books like this that they seem quite drawn out but I can’t say that about this book. It flows at a comfortable pace and there are no low points to the book in fact it is anything but! This author sure does like her unexpected twists and turns, this is what makes this book impossible to put down as you have to keep turning the pages to see what the next revelation will be.

There is a delightful group of characters in this book I loved each and every one of them they create such a light fun read just from their personalities alone. Ro was a fabulous main character, I thought she was going to annoy me and be a bit feeble after allowing her partner to put a pause on her relationship but I think she handled it pretty well and I think her time in The Hamptons made her find out who she really is. Her passion for photography really shines through and the pictures she takes are captured beautifully in the book I felt as though I could actually picture them. I loved Hump he sounded sexy, care free and fun which was just the kind of friend Ro needed.

The storyline was very unexpected it had a fresh, summery, fun feel to it but then it suddenly took a turn and had a more intriguing and eventful part to it. The descriptive writing was beautifully detailed which was something that I remember I loved from her previous book so this is obviously a strength for this author. I loved this book so much and I really don't think my review can do this book the justice it deserves, this author is fast becoming a form favourite of mine.


If you are looking for a holiday read that has a Summery feel but will also have you hooked from the first page with twists and turns then this one is pure perfection and should be top of your list.


Kindle          Paperback



2 comments:

  1. Looks like I shall have to pretend to be on holiday when I read this. Sounds like a fab summer read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe it will pro long your holiday for you! xx

      Delete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS