Thursday 5 May 2016

Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard


Did she leave, or was she taken?
The day Adam Dunne's girlfriend, Sarah, fails to return from a Barcelona business trip, his perfect life begins to fall apart. Days later, the arrival of her passport and a note that reads 'I'm sorry - S' sets off real alarm bells. He vows to do whatever it takes to find her.

Adam is puzzled when he connects Sarah to a cruise ship called the Celebrate - and to a woman, Estelle, who disappeared from the same ship in eerily similar circumstances almost exactly a year before. To get the answers, Adam must confront some difficult truths about his relationship with Sarah.

He must do things of which he never thought himself capable.
And he must try to outwit a predator who seems to have found the perfect hunting ground...


Distress Signals is Catherine Ryan Howard's debut novel and she has delivered a twisty, gripping read that will keep you guessing right until the very last page.

When Adam's girlfriend Sarah jets of to Barcelona on a business trip and fails to answer any of his calls or texts he begins to worry but when she isn't on the flight home that is when he knows something is really wrong but when her passport arrives in the post with only a note inside saying I'm Sorry -S that is when the dread kicks in.

Determined to get to the bottom of what has happened to Sarah, Adam sets out to uncover the truth.

The storyline is told from three characters points of view but mainly focuses on Adam. We also hear from Corinne and Romain and at the early stages of the book I couldn't work out what they had to do with the storyline but as the book progresses their characters are then weaved into the main storyline.

I haven't read a book like this in a long time where I had no idea where the storyline was going and what was going to be uncovered. As I collected the clues and evidence along with Adam along the way I found the constant little twists taking me down a different path each time so I was completely in the dark the whole way through so this author sure knows how to create an unpredictable storyline with a buzzing mystery all the way through.

There was no safe place to put this book down, I found myself eager to just read one more chapter to see what else Adam would find. Romain's character had me battling with my own thoughts because on the one hand he is a very troubled character and because of some of his actions I felt like I should despise him but I actually found I was a little sympathetic to his character because I felt like he was only the way he was because of his mum.

I was so wrapped up in this storyline although I have to say this has rather out me off of the cruise my husband and I had been looking at. I am excited to see what this author is going to deliver in her next book because this really was a creditable debut.


Paperback               Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS