Friday 26 August 2016

All Fall Down by Tom Bale


You tried to save a life. Now you’re fighting to save your own.
It’s the perfect Sunday. Summer sunshine, a barbecue with the kids. But a knock on the garden gate and two words, ‘HELP ME’, changes everything. 

When loving parents Rob and Wendy Turner let a dying man into their home, and do their best to help him, they think pure chance led him to their house. But soon their lives are threatened in ways they could never have imagined … and then the first anonymous letter arrives, forcing them to question all they know.

Someone is watching.
Someone is waiting.
They will stop at nothing.

Rob and Wendy will do anything to keep their family safe, but their children Georgia, Josh and Evan are teenagers now, with their own hidden lives.



I had never come across author Tom Bale before but when I read the synopsis for All Fall Down my interest was piqued immediately as I have always been one of these people who worry that helping people in trouble or in need although a natural instinct of mine could always result in inflicting unintentional trouble on myself so I couldn’t wait to jump in and see what happens to the Turner family.

What began as a normal Sunday family barbecue for the Turner family soon became the start of a living nightmare when a badly injured man appeared in their back garden uttering but two words “HELP ME” before he died.  

Innocent Rob and Wendy soon find that their natural instincts to help hasn’t only put them in the frame but also put their own family in danger.

The opening chapter of this book made the hairs on my arms stand to attention, Tom Bale captured my attention and equally put me on edge just from that opening chapter and from there on in I couldn’t put this book down.

The strange thing was I never warmed to any of the characters, they all seemed to have their own secrets that they were concealing and so they all had a slight shady feel to them although I was more intrigued by them rather than suspicious especially Rob and his daughter Georgia’s characters.
Rob and Wendy had hit a bump in their marriage and I was never quite sure if the dramatic events and suspicion would end up ripping them apart or bringing them back together again. Georgia was a strong troubled character who had seen and experienced more than anyone else her age should have done and it was her character who I found myself desperately routing for all the way through.

This really was an action packed pacey read that was full of vengeance, secrets and sickening games that made you keep turning those pages as there was no safe place to stop and my error was reading this before going to bed! The author has done an excellent job of weaving twists around the storyline around which I didn’t see coming.


If you are looking for a fast paced, nail biting read then All Fall Down will not disappoint, I am looking forward to going back now and reading his previous book See How They Run.




No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS