Wednesday 20 July 2011

Bagpipes & Bullshot by Janice Horton




I have just finished Bagpipes and Bullshot by Janice Horton. I think this is a record for me as I have finished reading it in less than a day!


Plot
When Innes Buchanan inherits the title of Laird, he is entrusted with the Scottish family estate, the ancestral home, and centuries of noble tradition. Sadly, he also inherits the family bank balance which, after death duty, is crumbling faster than the walls of their ancient castle. After exhausting even the most unlikely of cash generating alternatives and with bankruptcy on the horizon, Innes stumbles across one last initiative, a research scholarship in Texas to establish a new herd of cattle. With a lifetime of sheep farming and no room for failure, Innes's luck returns on a chance encounter with Orley MacKenna, a born and raised Texan cowgirl who needs little convincing to leave her past behind. Though a likely couple, the two settle for an unlikely business partnership, and return to Scotland to try and save the Buchanan fortune. Told with timeless Scottish romanticism and a knowing sense of humour, Bagpipes and Bullshot twists an everyday love story with a whole cast of village eccentrics who integrate seamlessly into a fantastic play on rural life.


My Opinion

The first thing I have to say about this book is I absolutely loved the relationship between our two main characters Orley and Innes. Although they are two worlds apart the  relationship between the two of them is so delicate which helped to make the whole book such a “cosy” read. Both Orley and Innes are two worlds apart and it is lovely to read about their relationship blossom throughout the book as they face some challenging times.

 I was so gripped from the first page of this book and I felt like I had been reading for so long and when I clicked the page it then said chapter 1 !! All I could think was if I am this gripped on just the Prologue I can see that this is going to be a hard book to put down. The story is a great romantic read that has a light hearted humour to it.

 What stuck out to me was the creative writing style that Janice Horton uses to set the scene in Scotland. I for one have never visited Scotland but after reading this book I feel as if I know the place already. Clearly Janice Horton is in love with her home town and that shows in this book.

I loved each and every character in this novel apart from Davina who is a spoilt little minx! As the book flowed along I was unsure what she was going to get upto next each time you think her actions cannot get any worse they soon do!

The one thing that I always look for in a book is the suspense factor. I do not like to know at the beginning of the book what is going to happen in the end. A book will only ever get a 5 star from me if the book is not predictable...... Well done Janice Horton you have got the 5 star from me. What more can I ask for in a book, romance, light humour, descriptive writing and the suspense.

This is definatley worth a read on a Sunday afternoon with a nice cuppa as this is my little “cosy” read.
Bagpipes and Bullshot is available at a VERY reasonable price on Amazon so headover to the link below.













http://loveahappyending.com/janice-horton/
Janice Horton is a part of the loveahappyending page so head over and check it out 







10 comments:

  1. I loved this book too. A great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading it now. Great reviw congratulations Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful review. I will definitely be adding Bagpipes & Bullshot to my TBR stack but putting it right on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read it back in the spring. Loved it! Another great review. Congratulations, Janice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely love your website Rea and what a wonderfully insightful review of the very lovely Janice Horton's Bagpipes & Bullshot! It is a skill creating characters that your readers fall in love with because they are so 'real'. A wonderful review by a wonderful reviewer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou for your comments this book deserves a great review and I am so pleased you think my review had done the book justice. I just hope it is not to long until the next book by Janice. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone - this wonderful review had me hyper-excited because I know what an honest reviewer Rea is - and I so wanted her to like my book!
    Yay! Thank you Rea, and yes, I'm hard at work on my next book which is entitled 'Reaching for the Stars' and I hope to have it available before the end of the year.
    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well hopefully it will be ready for everyone to put on their Amazon Christmas wish list! Look forward to the new one xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, I read Bagpipes and Bullshot some time ago and I can remember it quite clearly. I can't say that for every book I read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you there Chris this book is still fresh in my mind even though I have read 4 books since xx

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS