Tuesday 15 January 2013

How We Met by Katy Regan

There are some people you can’t imagine life without. What, at the end of it all, is really important? Liv and her friends can’t imagine a life different from now: freedom, lifelong friendships, and dreams that are still within their reach. Then, Liv dies.

For those left behind – Mia, Fraser, Anna, Norm and Melody – everything stops. Their lives and dreams are frozen in time. In the years that follow, they decide to meet on Liv’s birthday to raise a toast and celebrate her life, even though none of them are living their own – not really. Time marches inexorably on, and yet without Liv, the lynchpin of the group, they are all flailing. Mia and Fraser are quietly falling apart because of the secret they share and, as truths are unearthed and their friendships are tested to the limit, they have to ask themselves – is it time to get on with the business of actually living?


How we Met by Katy Regan is an enjoyable, emotional read. After Liv dies her circle of close friends are all struggling to come to terms with her death and are all grieving in their own ways. When they come across Liv’s to do list they decide to try to fulfill her list in her memory so we see each of her friends deal with their grief whilst carrying out various tasks on the list.

Although I found early on in the book I could easily predict the outcome it was great to watch the journey to the final outcome. The story covers all the emotions of grief from guilt to blame, from heartache to loss, the feeling you can not let go and yet the book didn't feel morbid at all. I think this was helped by the nice touch of unexpected humour which popped up throughout the book. The pace was on the slow side but I think this was right for the subject matter of the book and I still found I was hooked by the story line.

I found Anna’s character a little off and distant so I didn't warm to her like the others but all becomes clear later in the book as to why her character was the way she was. Other than Anna I loved all of the characters in the book Mia being my favourite she had a slight edge on the other characters and she felt very realistic as if you were reading about someone you know, it helps how well developed her character was.

I enjoyed this book I found it heartwarming and touching. It gets you thinking life is to short you only get one life so live it and enjoy it. I would recommend this book and I will be picking up the authors future releases.

You can grab your kindle copy below or pre-order your paperback copy which is due for release on the 31st January 2013.




Paperback           Kindle





No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS