Monday 6 May 2013

Wedding Night by Sophie Kinsella


Lottie is tired of long-term boyfriends who don't want to commit to marriage. When her old boyfriend Ben reappears and reminds her of their pact to get married if they were both still single at thirty, she jumps at the chance. There will be no dates and no engagement-just a straight wedding march to the altar! Next comes the honeymoon on the Greek island where they first met.

But not everyone is thrilled with Lottie and Ben's rushed marriage, and family and friends are determined to intervene. Will Lottie and Ben have a wedding night to remember . or one to forget?


Sophie Kinsella has always been a favourite author of mine and I have enjoyed all of her books with Can you Keep a Secret and of course the Shopaholic series being my favourites. My partner brought me a copy of Wedding Night this week as a treat so it didn’t take me long to finish up my book and make a start on this one.

Lottie is expecting partner Richard to propose at their “special” dinner. So when the whole thing goes terribly wrong not only does Richard not propose but they split up! In a heartbroken and irrational state when her old flame Ben from her teenage years comes back in to her life and asks her to marry him she jumps at the chance and before you know it they are married and off on honeymoon in a matter of days!

Sister Fliss is coming out of a less than perfect marriage and when she hears Lottie’s news she does all she can to try and stop the happy couple from making the mistake she made.

I was a little worried when I started to read Wedding Night as it was a very slow start. What I have always loved about Sophie’s books are her loveable crazy characters. They are always so far from down to earth but they are always easy to warm to and they are very entertaining. Unfortunately I didn’t find that with the characters this time and I do think it could be because this is the first time the author has used dual narrative so each time we begin to get to know one of our lead characters it then swaps over to the other narrator and we start again. I usually like books with dual narrative but personally I feel this authors writing is at its best with one main character.

As the book progressed I found myself beginning to enjoy the storyline and Sophie Kinsella’s humorous situations began to make an appearance. The things Fliss tried to do to sabotage her sisters honeymoon were unthinkable and hilarious! Only a sister could get away with giving her sister an allergy attack. It was great to have some surprises as to what on earth Fliss was going to come up with next as the rest of the book was predictable.

The book is set in both London and a Greek Island  and both settings are described well. The whole Honeymoon suite sounded to die for, who wouldn’t want to be waited on hand and foot and pampered to an inch of their lives!

I did enjoy this book but it wasn’t one of my favourites by Sophie Kinsella but yet I will still be in line waiting for next years release! I would give this book 3 and a half stars.





Hardback                  Kindle

1 comment:

  1. I read it in one day, and now it's my favorite Sophie's book :) I laughed out loud. In my opinion it's better that I've got your number. Can't wait for another Sophie's book!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS