Thursday 16 January 2014

The Best Thing I Never Had by Erin Lawless

Visit

I had read so many fantastic reviews on The Best Thing I Never Had by Erin Lawless so I couldn’t wait to get started with this one. For those of you who follow my reviews you will know I am always honest with my reviews so I have to start this review by saying that I actually gave up on this book the first time around, I managed to read to 18% before putting it down. The problem I found was that there were so many main characters introduced all at the same time that they all seemed to be blending in to one, I couldn’t separate each of the character and because all of my attention was consumed in trying to work out who was who I then couldn’t focus on any kind of storyline.

After speaking to other reviewers there were a number of them that had found the same thing but had pushed through and said what a great storyline it is once you got to grips with the characters so I decided to give it another try and I am glad I did pick this up for a second time.

I found that by 22-23% I had managed to work out who was who and by now the storyline had started to roll. The storyline follows the lives of seven friends who have all come together in their uni years enjoying the party scene as well as having to keep up with their studies. The story mainly revolves around the Harriet, Leigh and Adam love triangle, which I am sure many people can relate to. Both women have feelings for Adam but Adam only had eyes for Harriet and the girls friendship takes a massive hit which has a knock on effect on the groups friendships but is Adam and Harriet’s love for one worth the hurt of losing close friends.

Putting the start of the book aside I soon found that I was hooked and was flying through the pages eager to see what was going to happen next. There were characters I loved such as Adam and of course Harriet who was easily my favourite character, she was caring, loving and friendly and would be someone who I could see myself being friends with. There were also Leigh and Sukie who I loathed they are to me classic mean girls but they played a perfect part in this storyline.


There were fun and entertaining parts in the book as well as the friendships and romance which gave a real mix of content. I loved that I was never quite sure if Harriet and Adam were going to end up together or not and this is what kept me intrigues as I just had to find out if they would get their Happy Ever After. The authors writing flowed beautifully in the second half of the book and if it wasn’t for the challenging start of this book then it would have been a full 5 star review but I look forward to reading another book by this author.





No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS