Thursday 5 June 2014

A Proper Family Holiday by Chrissie Manby


Could you survive a week-long holiday with your entire family? Newly single magazine journalist Chelsea Benson can't think of anything worse. Your grubby small nephew torpedoing any chance of romance with the dishy guy you met on the plane . . . Your eighty-five-year-old granddad chatting up ladies at the hotel bar . . . Getting nothing but sarcastic comments from your older sister, who's always been the family favourite . . . And all this is before your parents drop their bombshell. Is a week enough time for the Bensons to put their differences aside and have some fun? Or is this their last ever proper family holiday?


I have just finished reading A Proper Family Holiday by Chris Manby and couldn't wait to do my review to get all my thoughts about this book down as I feel like I am going to burst!

The Benson family are off on holiday to Lanzarote to celebrate mum Jacqui's 60th birthday. Wanting all of her family to be together for this milestone she has treated her daughters Chelsie and Ronnie to the holiday along with Ronnie's husband Mark and their children Jack and Sophie and not forgetting grandad Bill too!

This holiday will be the first time the sisters have seen each other in two years after a rift, will they be able to put the past behind them and be able to help each other when they find out the real reason behind this Proper Family Holiday?

What a superb holiday read. I really don't know where to start with this review  as it is one of those books where you are really disappointed when you finish because you don't want to leave the characters behind. I am really hoping that the author is tucked away at home busy writing a follow up to this book because there is still so much that can be done with each and everyone of the character in this book my mind is in overdrive!

I loved the bond between Chelsea and her nephew Jack, he seems to be able to break down her barriers and touch the more vulnerable side to her it was like watching the ice queen melt! When their characters were together you knew that there were going to be troublesome and comical events ahead! I did feel a little evil though when it came to Lily who is a spoilt little madam, each time little Jack wanted to seek revenge I was  100% behind him I would have loved to have "accidentally" tripped her up!

The book really covers a lot of content there is fun and romance but there are also secrets, eating disorders, family rows and a coupe of shocking twists and turns that really had me gripped.
I found this to be such a compelling read I was quite anti-social for the day as I just couldn't put it down.

This as the title suggests would be a perfect holiday read, I really found myself being swept away with the storyline, this is easily my favourite read by Chris Manby and it has definitely got me in the holiday mood!



Kindle               Paperback

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like one for me. Hope you add it to Books You Loved: June. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS