Saturday 17 January 2015

The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins


Rachel catches the same commuter train every morning.
She knows it will wait at the same signal each time, overlooking a row of back gardens. She’s even started to feel like she knows the people who live in one of the houses. ‘Jess and Jason’, she calls them. Their life – as she sees it – is perfect. 
If only Rachel could be that happy. 
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Now Rachel has a chance to become a part of the lives she’s only watched from afar.
Now they’ll see; she’s much more than just the girl on the train… 

This week all I have been hearing about is The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins, I often get intrigued by books that have a big hype around them and yet I rarely find that I feel the same about it but none the less I had to give this a try and see what all the fuss was about.

The storyline begins with Rachel who commutes to London on the train each day and the train stops in the same spot each day and she see's a couple who live in the house overlooking the track and are often sitting out on the terrace. Rachel soon becomes fascinated by the couple and she even gives them names and sets a story in her mind of their lives together. All seems quite normal so far until one day Rachel see's something that leads to a big twist in the story and she soon finds herself wrapped up in a drama surrounding the couple.

Wow! I stayed up so late last night because I just HAD to find out who did it! This really was an unpredictable and shocking read. It is quite strange looking back now how much I enjoyed the book considering I didn't like any of the characters, I think this could be because I was suspicious of everyone and also each of the characters were all flawed especially our main character Rachel who is a very lonely and depressed drunk.

I found the tension gradually building up through the book as we were taken on a journey of twists and turns. The storyline was constructed with such talent, the pace was perfect although there were a few chapters through the middle where I felt like it was a little drawn out but then this could have been because I was so eager to find out what happened next I just wanted the author to hurry up and let us in on the secret! I don't think there will be anyone reading this who will be able to guess the ending of this book this really shows the authors talent in being able to conceal who the real villain was it was almost as if the author hadn't made up her own mind as to who it was going to be!

I don't often recommend psychological thrillers as it isn't a genre that I read much of but this book is worthy of the hype it has been receiving so I will be recommending this book.


Kindle                     Hardback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS