Friday 6 February 2015

As Good as it Gets? by Fiona Gibson


Charlotte Bristow is worried about her husband Will. With her 16-year-old daughter Rosie newly signed to a top modelling agency, and Will recently out of a job, things are changing in their household. As Will dusts down his old leather trousers and starts partying with their new, fun neighbours, Charlotte begins to wonder what on earth is going on. So when Fraser, Charlotte’s ex – and father of Rosie – suddenly arrives back on the scene, she starts to imagine what might have been…



The last few books I have read have been quite heavy and emotional so I really needed something uplifting to read and when I am looking for something witty I always turn to Jane Costello or the wonderfully talented Fiona Gibson.

The Bristow family are like your typical family next door with the usual day to day problems. Dad Will is out of work, mum Charlotte is trying to hold the family together as well as her job and daughter Rosie has decided she wants to do some modelling work but Charlotte is a little reluctant to let her go ahead with it. Thank god for little Ollie who is a little angel! Can the Bristow family stay united through the daily stress and strains?

I absolutely loved this book. I was chuckling away, right from the off I could feel Charlotte’s hurt and anger through her letters at the beginning of the book but I did have to laugh at the “ I wish I could be a pigeon for just long enough to shit on your head” comment, I have never read a book that gets off to a funny flying start like this and I am sure this will be a comment you will hear from me now in the future!

The storyline did hold some serious and tender issues which were delivered delicately and because of the authors’ talented writing style although there were these delicate issues she still managed to keep the book light and witty. I found myself laughing on numerous occasions especially regarding the blow up doll incident!

What I love about Fiona Gibson’s books, this one included, is they are so down to earth she could almost be talking about the family over the road. She manages to take problems that a lot of us can relate to such as redundancies and family matters and our hearts go out to the characters because they are so well developed they feel real but before we can get overly sentimental she then quickly lifts us back up with a great burst of unexpected humour.

There were a couple of twists and turns in this book so I wasn’t sure what the outcome was going to be so I was eagerly turning the pages to see what lay ahead.


This is yet another entertaining, witty read by Fiona Gibson and it is definitely up there with in my favourite 2 by this author.




Kindle                    Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS