Thursday 9 April 2015

The Day We Disappeared by Lucy Robinson


Annie has a secret. But if she's not going to tell, we won't either. It's a heart-breaking secret she wishes she didn't have - yet Annie isn't broken, not quite yet. Especially now there's someone out there who seems determined to fix her. Kate has run away. But she's not going to tell us why - that would defeat the point of running, wouldn't it? It's proving difficult to reinvent herself, however, with one person always on her mind. Scratch beneath the surface and nobody is really who they seem. Even Annie and Kate, two old friends, aren't entirely sure who they are any more. Perhaps you can work it out, before their pasts catch up with them for good...



I have written and re-written this review over and over again and I just don’t seem to be able to do this book the justice it deserves so what I am going to say is don’t waste your time reading my review just go and BUY A COPY and GET READING !

Annie’s tragic past has had a big impact on her life but after a chance meeting with the wealthy Stephen Flint he takes her life down a new path. Kate needs time out and to get away from the “bad shit” so she manages to get a job on a horse yard which is the perfect place as it is remote and gives her a chance to have a breather but will the “bad shit” come back to haunt her?

When I began reading this book I wasn’t sure if it was going to be my sort of read because as much as I love Lucy Robinson’s books I am really not a fan of anything horsey so when Kate turns up to work on a horse yard I was a little put off but I was already intrigued by the past part of this book and I am so glad I did because I would have missed out on what is sure to be one of my top 5 books of the year!

The chapters alternate between Kate and Annie but there is also a little part every couple of chapters about a past event involving a young child and her mother and this is particularly beautifully written and this part really caught my attention. The storyline was enjoyable and both Annie and Kate were great characters, Annie seemed very vulnerable and guarded whereas Kate had an outgoing and confident nature despite her demons.

There didn’t seem to be anything out of the ordinary with this book even as I got to over half way through, yes it was still an enjoyable read and one I would recommend, the pace was a little slow but I think this was done on purpose to help with the massive impact of a sudden twist that was completely unpredictable, I was gobsmacked! I really don’t want to tell you anything else about this twist and I really hope no one gives it away in their reviews because it is this that sets this book aside from all of the other books released in its genre recently. Even though you know there is a twist it will still smack you in the face because there is no way anyone could see this coming, I actually had to turn back a page to make sure I hadn’t missed something or read something wrong! I have NEVER read a book that has such a big twist that has pulled the wool over my eyes so much.

This is by far my favourite book by Lucy Robinson, she still had me laughing with her witty humour that she still manages to bring to this book, but this also shows a deeper and mature side to her writing too and she touches on many intense, emotional and heartbreaking topics in this book and she has quite clearly done a hell of a lot of research to this book. She had me on the edge of my seat shaking my head in utter disbelief it was such a captivating read.

This book is pure perfection and shows that Lucy Robinson has as incredibly skilled writing style she is sure to give me a book hangover now after finishing this. This is the best book I have read since reading The Memory Book by Rowan Coleman over a year ago and if this doesn’t jump to number one in the charts then something is seriously wrong. Each time I see someone say they are about to start reading this I get excited for them, I wish I could read this book for the first time again. I just want to know how on earth are you going to top this one Robinson!


This book has got my first Diamond rating of the year!

Paperback               Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS