Wednesday 22 April 2015

The Doris Day Vintage Film Club by Fiona Harper


Claire Bixby grew up watching Doris Day films at her grandmother’s house and yearned to live in a world like the one on the screen – sunny, colourful and where happy endings with chiselled leading men were guaranteed. 

But recently Claire’s opportunities for a little ‘pillow talk’ have been thin on the ground. Until she meets mysterious Dominic. Nic is full of secrets but their connection is instant. 

Could he help Claire finding the Hollywood ending she’s been searching for?


I adore the cover of The Doris Day Vintage Film Club the soft colours used makes this book very easy on the eye and one that will stand out on the book shelves and Fiona Harper is an author whose books I have read and enjoyed before so I was longing to start this book even though there was a small amount of apprehension as although I have heard of Doris Day I have never watched any of her films and I don’t know anything about it other than she was a very clay looking woman so I was hoping the storyline wouldn’t go over my head.

Claire and her grandmother used to love watching Doris Day films so much so that her grandmother formed a Doris Day Film club for members to all come together to watch the films. After her grandmothers passing it is now Claire who is in charge of running the club along with running her own travel company. Her life couldn’t be more different from the films she adores but having her heart broken she has such high barriers built that don’t look like they are about to come down until she meets the gorgeous Nic but as she begins to let down her guard down but Nic has a secret which could make those barriers go back up for good.

I had no need to worry about this book, although it is set around the Doris Day club I still followed the storyline with ease and I actually became quite curious by Doris Day and her fashion and films and was googling away looking and pictures of the glamorous lady herself. Claire was a good natured character, it was obvious that she has trust issues with men because of a past relationship and her relationship or lack of with her dad so I found I just longed for her to have a happy ending like the films she loves. Nic was a great character a typical man who doesn’t think before he acts which gets himself into sticky situations and makes life quite difficult for himself! The supporting characters in this book were all so loveable too there wasn’t a single character that I didn’t like in this book.

The storyline is very light and uplifting perfect for an easy Sunday read. The authors writing style is so easy to follow which makes this quite a pacey read. There are no surprise twists or turns and it is not a storyline people will relate too but none the less this was still a fun, enjoyable and romantic read that gets a thumbs up from me.

Kindle                     Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS