Monday 24 October 2016

Searching for a Silver Lining by Miranda Dickinson


Matilda Bell is left heartbroken when she falls out with her beloved grandfather just before he dies. Haunted by regret, she makes a promise that will soon change everything . . .

When spirited former singing star Reenie Silver enters her life, Mattie seizes the opportunity to make amends. Together, Mattie and Reenie embark on an incredible journey that will find lost friends, uncover secrets from the glamorous 1950s and put right a sixty-year wrong.




I have read every one of Miranda Dickinson’s books and I am a big fan as her books never disappoint. I have to admit to being a little nervous about this book as when I read the synopsis it mentioned about uncovering secrets from the 1950’s and as much as I love uncovering secrets, I am not comfortable with the 1950’s as my knowledge of that era is limited but luckily enough the authors beautiful writing style I have come to know and love soon had me immersed in the storyline.

Mattie and Rennie strike an unlikely friendship on a chance meeting when Mattie arrives at the care home where Rennie lives to do a presentation. The pair soon become good friends and begin to open up to each other and form a plan to help each other with Mattie being able to make amends to her grandfather and Reenie being able to apologise to the band members whose careers she damaged.  The pair embark on a journey along with the handsome Gil to find the original band members of The Silver Five and right the wrongs from the past.

At the heart of this storyline is such a strong friendship between Mattie and Reenie and I found this so endearing. Reenie showers Mattie with her stories from the highlights of her life and in turn it helps Mattie to feel more connected to her Grandfather. We don’t get to meet Mattie’s Grandfather as he has just passed away at the start of the book but we get to build a picture of his character through the short sharp diary entries that pop up throughout the book which I thought was a lovely touch and I looked forward to each entry to see what was revealed.

I have read many books about road trips but it is easy to say none of them are quite like this! Reenie brings a light hearted humour to the book with her diva-ish ways, Mattie  is the one to keep their feet on the ground and make sure things run smoothly ( well as smooth as they can be with Reenie!) and Gil provides up with our eye candy and a little sprinkling of romance.

The authors love of music shines through in this book helped with the soundtracks at the beginning of each chapter, she has quite clearly poured her heart and soul into this book and it is one to be proud of.
I did find the beginning of the book a little slow to start which I haven’t found in the authors previous books but this is soon redeemed and I am so pleased I persevered otherwise I would have missed out on this wonderful journey.


If you love books that feature friendships, secrets, forgiveness and a  diva-ish octogenarian then this book will tick all the boxes!


Paperback                   Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS