Thursday 9 February 2017

A Song for Tomorrow by Alice Peterson


Tom fell in love with Alice the moment he saw her. He realises that being with her will not be easy, but she is a force of nature, a burst of sunlight in his otherwise ordinary world. 

Some people might look at Alice and think she has everything, but Alice knows she is not like other women. Her life is complicated, unpredictable, difficult. Alice does not like pity. All she wants to do, has ever wanted to do, is sing. 

Alice has been told not to follow her dreams. So has Tom. But when fate has already dealt a tough hand, it’s time to stop listening to everyone else and only follow their hearts.



Alice Peterson has always been a favourite author of mine and her book By My Side has always sat on the top spot. When I read the synopsis for A Song for Tomorrow I knew this was going to be a deep moving read so I had my tissues at the ready.

Alice Martineau has always dreamed of becoming a singer but words from her past have prevented her from chasing her dream but when she gets yet another rejection from her modelling career she makes the decision to finally make her dream a reality.

When Tom sets eyes on Alice for the first time it was like love at first sight and before long a beautiful romance begins to blossom but can Tom cope with the struggles and unpredictability that Alice deals with on a daily basis?

I feel as though my heart has been pulled out and ripped into a thousand pieces and maybe taking this book with me to read whilst having my hospital treatment was not a good idea judging by the looks I received with tears running down my face! I haven’t been so moved by a book since reading Me Before You and because of Alice Peterson’s beautiful and insightful writing style mixed with the fact that this storyline is actually based on the real life of the remarkable Alice Martineau fight to achieve her dreams I found this book more personal and emotional.

As we have come to expect with Alice Peterson’s books the protagonist has a disability and in this book Alice suffers from Cystic Fibrosis. The author always explores the conditions of her characters in such depth and she brings such detailed awareness of how each characters life is affected by their condition. I was aware of CF but reading this book has opened my eyes up to the daily struggles that sufferers face. There are many people in the world who long to become singers and it is an extremely difficult industry to get in to and yet add to the mix the symptoms of CF with the damage to her lungs, the constant need to cough and struggle to breathe and yet Alice was still determined to fight her way to the top and I was routing for her the whole way through I really wanted to see her achieve her dream as this is someone who really deserves to make it.

Although this was a really emotive read I found this such a beautiful and uplifting storyline as Alice brings us many highs as we watch her on her journey to attempt to become a singer, she is such a strong, understanding and determined character who grabs life with both hands and will do everything she can to enjoy each day and push to get what she dreams of. I found I had such admiration for Alice and her outlook on life can sure teach us a thing or two.

I loved the relationship between Alice and the loveable Tom, like any new relationships there are ups and downs as we begin to get to know one and other but Tom also was learning about CF and the fact that he went out of his way to read up on the condition when this was a new relationship and could have walked away showed what a lovely guy he was and how much he adored Alice I found him really endearing.

The author has put her heart and soul into this novel and it is felt on each and every page and I can imagine chapter 75 was a difficult one to write but I had goosebumps reading this chapter as there was so much emotion put into this and it was just beautiful and this was where I broke.

Since finishing this book my interest has been piqued and I wasted no time in going online and finding Alice’s album Daydreams and her voice is liquid gold she really has a strong talent and I hope that what Alice Peterson has managed to capture in this book will help to introduce this wonderful woman’s music to many readers to enjoy.


I never believed Alice Peterson would knock my favourite By My Side off the top spot but this book has achieved that and I am sure this will be my book of the year 2017 it sure will be an incredibly hard one to beat but one thing is for sure this storyline will stay with me for a long time as it has truly captured my heart.

Rare Gem Rating

Paperback                Kindle

Alice Martineau's CD Daydreams

No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS