Saturday 11 February 2017

Sisters and Lies by Bernice Barrington

One hot August night, Rachel Darcy gets the call everyone fears. It's the police. Her younger sister Evie's had a car crash, she's in a coma. Can Rachel fly to London right away?
With Evie injured and comatose, Rachel is left to pick up the pieces of her sister's life. But it's hard fitting them together, especially when she really doesn't like what she sees.
Why was Evie driving when she doesn't even own a licence?
Who is the man living in her flat and claiming Evie is his girlfriend?
How come she has never heard of him?
The more mysteries Rachel uncovers the more she starts asking herself how well she ever really knew her sister. And then she begins to wonder if the crash was really the accident everybody says it is.
Back in hospital, Evie, trapped inside an unresponsive body, is desperately trying to wake up. Because she's got an urgent message for Rachel - a warning which could just save both their lives . . .

Sisters and Lies follows the story of two Irish sisters Rachel and Evie. Rachel is a successful writer but Evie has had a more turbulent life and when Rachel receives a phone call to say her sister has been in a car crash in her boyfriends car and as a result is in a coma Rachel travels to London to be by her sisters bedside and is determined to get to the bottom of why her sister was driving when she doesn’t even have a license and to her knowledge doesn’t have a boyfriend! Things just don’t add up but who can Rachel trust and will Evie ever wake up from her coma?

I really liked how this book was told from Rachel’s POV as she is trying to piece together the pieces of her sisters life and also told from Evie’s POV as she is stuck in her coma unable to communicate and is reflecting back on what happened to result in her accident and also looking back on her life growing up. I loved both sisters although they didn’t seem to have a great bond they both were likeable characters although Evie did take longer for me to warm to as due past actions and way of life but as the storyline progressed and we get to know Evie through her own thoughts rather than other people’s perception I really felt for her and could see in a warped way why she did what she did.

Evie's boyfriend Donnagh was a shady character, from the moment I met him I was on guard this guy was too squeaky clean and yet he wasn't devoted to sitting around his girlfriends bed every day but I also felt like it was to obvious that he had any involvement into Evie's accident. I found I was gripped the whole way through and I loved that the author pulled the wool over my eyes with her twist, I never for a moment came close to discovering the truth. 

The storyline is fast paced and there is a flow of secrets revealed which kept me interested, waiting to see what would be revealed next to see if I could solve the mystery before Rachel. I think this was a noteworthy debut by Bernice Barrington and I think fans of Liane Moriarty and Jane Shemilt will enjoy Sisters and Lies so this is well worth adding to your TBR piles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS